Gerne im Forum
    • Privat

• Meine Reisen

[VZ,CO,EC,PE,BO,CL,AR,BRA] Süd Amerika (Welt)Reise 1990/1991

Tourentyp
    Lat
    Lon
    Mitreisende

Please join me on my journey through South America 30 years ago.

After two friends came back from a backpacking trip through South America with all their fascinating stories, all I could think of was that I had to go there.
    I did and my travels took me to Curaçao, Venezuela, Colombia, Ecuador, Peru, Chile, Argentina, Bolivia and Brazil.
    I had no idea of how long I would travel but in the end it where almost 15 months.
    Times have changed a lot since then. Just thinking back about the fact that I camped in the ruins of Machu Picchu, something that would be completely unthinkable these days.
    The quality of my photography at that time was not the best so I only picked the slides that are worth looking at.
    On the map below, I marked the rough route that I did.

Venezuela was the real starting point of my journey, but before traveling to Venezuela, I stayed with a friend in Curaçao for some time.
    Caracas the capital city where I first arrived on the continent gave me my first lesson in South American democracy. On the first day on a stroll through the centre of town, a police truck stopped right before me. The police jumped out of their bus started to beat down what seemed to be students, loaded them in to the truck and of they went.
    That left me, coming from liberal Amsterdam just shocked.
    Anyhow, I did not come to change the system or start a revolution so I kept quiet

One landscape that I really wanted to see in Venezuela was La Gran Sabana. It lies in the south east of Venezuela on the border with Brazil.
    In those days, this was gold digger area and probably still is. The little towns on the road towards Brazil looked like a Wild West movie. Men with pistols hanging from their waists, little stalls buying and selling gold, bars and prostitutes everywhere. This is what the Wild West in the US must have been like.
    Anyhow, I was there to see the tabletop mountains named Tepuis and my main aim was a tour into the interior. After leaving the main road, I ended up in a place called Kanavayen that I choose as a kind of base camp for the several hiking trips that I did in the area.

Tabletop mountains in the Gran Sabana

The Gran Sabana has lots of waterfalls

I hitch hiked back towards civilization but did not make it in one go as I ran in to an American couple doing research on the harpy eagle (world largest eagle). They asked me if I wanted to join them into the rainforest where they had their observatory. I gladly did but sadly, no eagle showed up that day.

Colombia After some more adventures in Venezuela I finally ended up in Colombia. The first thing that gets to my memory is sitting on a bus in Cucuta (my diary says it was criminal too) and it was so damned hot that I really wanted to get off and travel another day.

However, the bus took me to Malaga and the trip was great, passing through the Andes on a dirt road with magnificent scenery. Indigenous people on their horses with their bright colourful ponchos. Next day took me to a place called el Cocuy where I planned a trekking tour in the el Cocuy national park.

El Cocuy

The trek itself had something of a bad omen; it started to rain as I left el Cocuy on the milk truck (the only vehicle that goes towards the park, at least then). The trek itself was magnificent with all kind of strange plants that I had never seen before.

Landscape in the el Cocuy national park

After a second day of rain and the crossing of a high pass in snowy conditions, I decided to turn back instead of continuing my route.
    When I finally hit the road again, I was completely wet and so was my gear.
    I asked the indigenous family at the first house that I passed if I could stay there. They saw the emergency and took me in. Mama put me straight into bed and tried to heath me up with a hot potato soup. After the soup and the warm bed, I slowly warmed up. What wonderful people taking in a complete stranger with the little that they have.
    What a shame that I could never really thank them for what they did for me.

The family that took care of me

After my el Cocuy adventure, the gringo trail took me to the colonial town of Villa de Leiva.

Beautiful Villa de Leiva

Luckily the week I arrived there was a festival going on.

Lucky me a festival and the also such a wonderful place. Waiting for the festival to start, I even had some time to go for a two-day hike in the area.

Market day in Villa de Leiva

From Villa de Leiva I travelled to Bogota, at that time not the best place to be as Pablo Escobar had his fingers everywhere.
    I stayed in a cheap hotel in the red light area in Bogota and shared my room with a German called Thomas.
    We left the Hotel early in the morning in search of a place where we could have breakfast. Instead of finding a nice restaurant, we were witnesses of a murder. The mafia or narcos as they are called in Colombia stabbed someone to death right in front of us.
    Why and what exactly happened will always be a mystery to me.
    All we could do was run away as fast as we could, last thing I wanted was spending time in a Colombian jail!

Next stop was San Augustin, known for its stone sculptures that nobody really knows much about.
    What a wonderful place it turned out to be.

Stone sculptures in San Augustin (Tin Tin must have been here) (Tim und Struppi)

This was the first time in my travels that I thought about the thing of settling at a magic place like this.
    In years to come I would visit a few more places where I had the same thoughts.
    I did a few hikes in the area mainly along the Magdalena River. After my travels through Colombia, I realized that this area was Colombia at its best. However, usually you first notice that afterwards.

Street scene during one of the hikes in the area

I hooked up with a few other travellers here and we spend Christmas together. We bought a turkey that we called Johnny together and had a feast meal that I will never forget… Sorry for all you vegetarians reading this story.
    From San Agustin I moved on to Popayan, a beautiful colonial town.
    One of the things that stick to my mind was the impressive bus ride (7 hours for 135km) through wild country.
    Only one bus a day and only at daytime because of leftist guerrillas.
    Well can´t be that bad I thought but I was thought the better when I met 3 other tourist that were robbed the day before as the bus was held up on the same route. They and the locals on the bus had to hand in all their valuables at gunpoint. In those days Colombia was not the safest place to be and
    Therefore not too many tourists in the country. After spending the New Year in this town, it was time to move on to the next country Ecuador.

Ecuador I would spend quite some time in this country as there is a lot to see and most places are easy accessible. Ecuador was dirt-cheap at that time so all the backpackers on a tight budget like me choose to hang out here instead of expensive countries.
    One of the first places that I heard of on the trail radio was Baños, so there I went.
    The village had hot springs in town and it was just a nice place to hang out.
    Nearby was the volcano of Tungurahua with its 5016 meters of altitude that longed to be climbed by me.
    So after a few relaxing days I headed out for the climb and made it to the summit.

Climbing the Tungurahua volcano

Next I did was a hike around the volcano of Cotopaxi. It took me a couple of days to walk around it and the weather was not good so I only had very few sights of this beautiful shaped volcano.

Hiking around the volcano Cotopaxi with pretty shitty weather (the best view that I got during the hike)

After I finished the walk and I reached civilisation the locals informed me that the US had invaded Kuwait. I was shocked and had this feeling that the third world war started but I could not check it out before I reached the capital Quito.
    Nobody here could give me precise information and most people didn´t seem to care. Well looking back I can understand it. Kuwait is a country far away and if you have never been further as the market of the next village, it is difficult to comprehend the whole thing.
    It was time for something else as I had enough of shitty weather so I went to the pacific ocean to a small island called Muisne and stayed for a long log time.

Endless beach at Muisne

After Muisne I went to the village of Otavalo, a peaceful indigenous village where I spend a few days and did a couple of day hikes in the area.

The woman doing the laundry, a scene during one of my many hikes in the area

Ciucocha crater lake

Cattle market at Otavalo

Local woman

Slowly it was time to move south to try and make it to southern Chile and Argentina to catch the end of the season before the fall/winter would make traveling (rain) impossible.
    I met up with a Carla from the US in Quito and together we decided to travel southern Chile.
    From now on a part of the trip would be the two of us.
    Next stop we went for was Cuenca. We had the funny experience of arriving here during carnival. In this town, the people have the habit of throwing water at each other. Locals would even drive pickup trucks with barrels of water through the streets and soke everybody with a bucket of water that would not get out of the way fast enough. Well when you are wet you can´t get wet anymore so you just join the play. The main reason for going to Cuenca is that the town is a beautiful colonial one but not too far from the town, there is the national park called las Cajas. It is a high altitude park covered with lakes.
    We got hold of a map and figured out that it should be possible to cross the park with a compass and hit the road on the other side. Three others travellers wanted to join in so of we went the five of us.
    As we crossed our first pass, we sat down just below the ridge out of the wind. Probably because we were out of sight two condors “sailed” over the pass just above our heads. They were so close we could almost touch them….WAUW magic.

Las cajas national park

Hiking through this "wilderness" on good luck and a compass

After the las Cajas hike, we travelled to Guayaquil (fucking hot and damp place) and from there towards the border with Peru.

By the way, we all think that the worst thing that destroys rain forest is palm oil plantations but years before we ever heard about palm oil, all the rain forest in the Guayaquil area was destroyed to make way for bananas.
    I remember driving through banana plantations for hundreds of kilometres!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Peru The fastest way to cross Peru all the way to Chile was by air. We looted our tight budget and bought ourselfs a flight ticket from Tumbes to Tacna. Half way I regretted this as we caught heavy turbulence and I thought it was the end.

People screaming, luggage everywhere and a whole lot of ave Marias.
    Well the Ave Maria probably did it so we made it in one part and had a smooth touch down in Tacna.

Chile Our first pleasure in Chile was a 30-hour bus ride from Arica to the capital Santiago. We had enough of flying for the moment so that was no option. Better to sit in a bus for a long time as to fall out of the air. The bus ride was pretty boring as the ride is mainly through dessert landscape that didn´t really change
    After so much uncomfort the next form of transport was a train to Puerto Montt.
    The train was old but from the inside, I had the feeling of being in the orient express.
    This was a lovely way of travel and there even was a cinema abroad!

Puerto Montt

Seafood market on the shore of Puerto Montt

The next trekking spot we aimed for was a trek along the coastal shore of Chiloe. The hike started on the outskirts of Ancud and finished at a settlement called Chepu. We had no maps are what so ever but would just see how far we would get. It was a rough hike with rain and lots of mud but it was a beautiful one and I still think back about this hike every now and then. Due to the steep shores in some areas, the lumber industry never set foot here so this was Chile as it was before the settlers moved in.

Hiking the Chiloe coast

Magical camping spot

Local farmers lost in time

Chilean wilderness on the island Chiloe

Camping spot on the beach

At the end of the hike, the local clam fisher invited us to the local football game at a nearby dwelling. The weather was great and we ended up drunk on Chilean wine in the sun.

Chilean wine out of melons on a lazy Sunday

Camping on the shore in Puerto Montt and preparing salmon dinner

Getting down to Patagonia was not that easy those days. There was no major tourism going on and buses south were few.
    We checked our possibilities but the next seat on a bus for us was weeks ahead, so we decided to stay in the area and go for a couple of hikes in the Chilean Argentinian border area.
    The season was slowly ending so it was the smartest thing to do.
    So we hopped on a bus to Petrohue and from there to Laguna Verde. Here we couldn´t believe our eyes that we could camp on the lakeside with the following view!

Camping on the beach in front of Osorno

Next day the ferry took us across to Puella crossing Lago todos los santos. It was so beautiful it could have been Canada or some other magic place.

Argentina From Peulla our hike started (still in Chile) and we crossed the border into Argentina on foot. We had pretty bad weather with lots of rain but what a hike it was.
    We scrammled through bushes and climbed over fallen trees all the way up to Mount Tronador and its hanging glacier. It was like a fairy tale and we could have been the hobbits!

We climbed the Passo de las nubes with great views on Laguna Frias if we dared to look back.

Lago Frias

Accent towards the pass

Camping spot below mount Tronador

At a beautiful camping spot like this we decided to have a rest day. Well we couldn´t handle a full rest day so we climbed mount Tronador as far as we could till crevases made a further accent impossible.

Nice photo on a half way climb of mount Tronador

Next day we had to continue and the trail went down the mountain. We saw condors on our way down and got excited because of puma tracks that we saw crossing a stream.

Puma where are you?

After hitting then road, we hitch hiked our way to Bariloche.
    We found a cheap hotel and were happy to escape the rain.
    Next day we changed hotel, as our skin was full with little bed bug bites…Yes sometimes being on a budget really gets you.
    Someone told me about a restaurant on the outskirts of town were old nazi guys gather in the evening. Well young and ignorant as I was, I decided to go and have a look. Well they were there and until today, I am shocked how openly they saluted each other.

We hitch hiked to Lago Guitierrez and camped on the lakeshore to start our next hike.
    We skipped one day on the lakeshore just. Weather was great so we just hung out doing nothing but sleeping and swimming.
    The hike lay in the Cerro Catedral area, not unknown in the Bariloche region, as it is a very special place.
    Almost bits of Alps touch with the refugios in the park.
    The trail we did was Refugio Frey, Refugio Jakob, Laguna los Tempanos, Cerro Navidad, Refugio Laguna Negra and from there back to Bariloche.
    Just check out the pictures for the fine landscape.

Pictures of the Cerro Caterdral hike

Our camping spot close to the summit of cerro Navidad

The weather was slowly changing and rain was on our back as the season was ending.
    We decided to move up north back to Chile.

To be continued!
    Zuletzt geändert von thedutch; 06.07.2021, 18:07.

• thedutch
    Gerne im Forum
    • Privat

• Meine Reisen

Chile The next stop was Pucon because we wanted to climb the volcano Villarica. In those days Pucon was a tourist place but the only paved street was the main road so it still had a bit of a wild west feeling. Well the day that we arrived in Pucon the weather was (still) ok. But from then on it rained and rained and rained. So all we did was eat, drink, play pool and sleep.
    After the weather did not change we decided it was enough and we said goodbye to the volcano (I would climb it ten years later) and we moved on north.

Villarica Volcano on the arrival day in Pucon

Carla and myself split up as she was going to see some friends who were wild water rafting on the Bio Bio River and I went to see some family of a Chilean friend in Talca.
    A great hike that I did with my friends from Talca was to the base of the volcano Descabezado grande (translation: vulcano without head). A great hike at this time only known to locals.
    We met a few more Chileans from the area who invited us on a horse-riding trip.
    At that time it all seemed normal but looking back at it writing my memories it was Chilean friendship at its best.

Ready for the hike with friends from Talca at Vilches

The volcano Descabezado on the right

The lookout point el mirador

We met up with some locals at the end of the day and rode back to camp on horseback

Waterfall next to our campsite. The right place for an early morning swim!

Next stop was Santiago where I spend some time with the in laws of my sister and from there my travels took me to north Chile.

With the sisters in law of my sister in Santiago

With a quick stop in the town of Antofagasta. By the way what a dusty place with almost no trees in the desert on the Chilean coast. What are people doing here?
    But that question could be asked again when I visited the town of Chuquicamata. This town only exists because of the biggest open cast coper mine in the world. What a huge hole and what a terrible place to live is you are a child and have no choice.
    From here, a bus ride took me through the Atacama Desert (world driest desert) to San Pedro the Atacama.

The church of San Pedro de Atacama

A little village in this desert with less than 2000 inhabitants at that time no real tourism.
    I visited the place 10 years later and things had already really changed in terms of population and tourism. To be honest I don´t really want know what happened to this magnificent village after the Instagram took over.
    Still there was some tourism going in on but it was all very small scale (hostels were still the kind of homestay arrangements).
    From San Pedro I did a tour to the geysers of Tatio. These Geysers are the best early morning when the sun hits the plain at roughly 4300 meters above sea level.
    Wauuuuuuw I never saw something like that in my life…Spectacular!

Geysers of Tatio

One of the other things was to figure out a hike in the Valle de la Luna. A valley not far from San Pedro that must looks like the surface of the moon. I took enough water and stayed overnight and slept under the stars. I kind of just wanderd in the area on my compass and hitting the road before I had no water left. Another amazing trip this was.

Valle de la Luna

From San Pedro I started a long journey to Lima/Peru to meet my friend Reinier from Holland who would join in on my travels for the next three months.

To be continued!

Kommentar

• dominik_bsl
      Erfahren
      • Privat

• Meine Reisen

Looking forward for continuation of the report!

We were in the El Cocuy NP in 2015 and it was also raining most of the time. However, there was a jeep doing the taxi service. But the milk truck was still an option. Too sad the NP is closed nowadays for multiday treks/glacier hikes for very bizarre reasons 🙄

Kommentar

• thedutch
        Gerne im Forum
        • Privat

• Meine Reisen

Peru the border crossing between Chile and Peru was at the towns of Arica and Tacna. What sad places to live with not a bit of green anywhere.
        After a rough 20-hour bus ride through the coastal dessert of Peru, I made it to Lima.
        Until this day I regret that I didn´t stop in Nazca to fly over the Nazca lines. My budget was tight so no 100$ for a flight over the lines. However, you can´t see everything but sometimes you are so close and still so far!
        Seeing my friend was a great reunion and getting presents and letters from home was like Christmas.
        Our aim was to travel Peru and Bolivia together but we also ended up in Brazil for a short time.
        Anyhow, after a few days in Lima and the changing of some dollars on the black market for the local currency and we left on a long journey for La Paz the capital of Bolivia. It was a long Bus ride to Arequipa with lots of crosses along the road. No worries, our bus driver had a beautiful sticker of San Cristopher on his windshield so for sure we would reach Arequipa in one piece!
        At arrival in town, there were riots going on and we saw a lot of police in armed vehicles with water cannons mounted on top. As things were getting pretty scary some locals pulled us in their house so we did not get hurt or even worse. What I had seen until now on the continent is that the police has no mercy and our European thought of justice is very different to the South American reality.
        Next part of the long journey was the train ride to Puno that is not forgotten.
        It started with a (small or big) disaster as we left Arequipa. The connection between the locomotive and the railway carriages broke of and all of a sudden, we rolled down hill. Luckily, we only just started uphill so nothing happened but things could have turned out deadly. After several hours of repair, we continued and we kept asking ourselves, do we want to continue this ride or shall we get off?
        Well, we continued and one of the things still on my mind that is was very cold when we were in the high Andes that night. With the elder Indian couple with whom we shared our bench we just cuddled together with blankets and sleeping bags just to keep warm.
        Puno is the major town on the Peruvian side of Lake Titicacca and to us it was just magic. Who has never heard of Lake Titicacca and would like to go there?
        From Puno it is not far to the border crossing with Bolivia and the town with the magical name of Copa Cabana. Sadly, we could not enter, as we had no visa.
        Because of increasing cocaine trafficking into the Netherlands by Bolivian Nationals, the Dutch government changed visa regulations for them. So just like in kinder garden…What you do to me I will do to you….
        Of we went back to Puno to try and get hold of a visa. With a bit of drama acting the officer in charge felt sorry and of we went with our fresh visa.
        Because of the visa delay, we decided to continue our travel to La Paz as we knew we would pass this town again.
        On route, the next strange adventure popped up. To cross a part of Lake Titicaca the complete bus was rolled on a raft for the crossing. Passengers not allowed because that was too dangerous, so all the passengers had to enter a little vessel.
        If we would ever see our backpacks again in case the raft would sink?
        Finally we made it to La Paz just before the sun went down and I can still remember looking down that huge bowl with all the favelas clustering to the hillsides.

La Paz

Those days the place to be was Hotel Torino and after a bit of searching we found the place and ran into some friends from my northern Chile adventures. That same night we planned a hike called the Coroico trek that would lead us from the highland into the amazon jungle.
        Next day a bit of sightseeing and shopping for the trekking tour ahead.
        My poor friend Reinier did he love me or hate me for dragging him along this continent on busses and train and not giving him a minute of rest? Well we are still friends after all those years so he probably loved it.
        The trek was great with the landscape changing all the time. I never did a trek before were you start on an almost 5000-meter pass and from there walk down into the jungle at roughly 1800-meter.

The Coroico trek, from the highlands into the Amazon jungle

Top of the pass

Lamas

Peasant housings

Inca trail that survived 500 years after construction..Must have been great engineers these Incas

River crossing

Slowly walking down towards the jungle

The early morning bus back to La Paz with my friend Reinier in front of the bus

After the hike we went back to La Paz to via the death road (the only possible way for returning). Seeing all the crosses on the side of the road we just made us kept our breath.
        Anyhow, a least we did not go over the edge as a truck before us did and we made it to La Paz in one piece.
        La Paz is a great place to hang out for a few day with great food, Indian markets and lots of places to see the world go by.
        Not far from La Paz lie the pre Inca ruins of Tiwanaku. We decided that a day trip was the right thing to do. By the end of the day, we ended up on a local fiesta with lots of drunk Indians.
        All through my South American travels, I saw many drunk Indians and alcoholism is a real problem, but as every little shop sells hard liquor dirt cheap it is difficult to ignore the booze.

The altiplano close to Tiwanaku

Inside the ruins of Tiwanaku

Fiesta with lots of (really) drunk

The shoulder costume made of jaguar skin and the head cover made of parrot feathers

To be continued................

Kommentar

• thedutch
          Gerne im Forum
          • Privat

• Meine Reisen

The gold diggers trail that starts from a village called Sorata caught my attention so that would be the next trek. This trek is a steep climb towards the mountain of Ancohuma then crosses a pass and from there all the way down into the Jungle until the town of Guanay.
          Coming down into the jungle, we found out why the trail was called the gold diggers trail.
          At the end of the third day we hit a small gold-diggers camp were we spend the night. These miners showed us around and took us into the tunnel were they were mining the gold. That same night sitting at the campfire they showed us, the gold they found with sinning eyes. Luckily, we did not fall for the gold fever and we moved on the next day.
          It all was very exciting all these stories about gold in the middle of the jungle.

Some not so fortunate kids along the trail

The start of the gold digger trail

It started with a little rest

It didn´t take much to decide that this would be our camping spot

Last little walk up the pass

We reached the jungle side of the Andes

Why am I doing this?

Inca build staircase in the middle of nowhere

On one of the following nights, we arrived in a village called Llipi. It was a complete Kondike style. On every corner, you could buy or sell gold, check out the most beautiful prostitute, buy gold digger equipment or just have a meal and a beer with the boys.

That night we were invited by one of the miners to spend the night in their hut.
          Sadly, two years later the complete village was destroyed by a landslide at night and nobody survived.
          Guanay was the end of the trek and we arrived completely powdered in dust.

The gold digger village LLipi. Two years after this photo the complete village was destroyed by a landslide and nobody survived

Just arrived in Guanay coverd in dust

Leaving Guanay was not so easy. As the town is on a junction of tree mayor Rivers, we wanted to take a boat to Rurrenabaque instead of bus travel again. The only the answer we got was maybe mañana.
          So, next day we tried again and we got the same answer. Everything in this jungle town was laid back and it was not clear if there was a regular boat service at all. Finally, we started looking for a truck to take us and got lucky. The journey took more than day and it was an adventure on its own, sitting in the back of the truck with locals and some animals. Sometime half way the driver fell asleep, we ended up on the side of the road, and everybody had to get out and help to pull the truck back on the road. Next stop was a pinched tire. Well early next morning we finally reached Rurrenabaque. The main aim of coming here was the tours into the Jungle. The town itself was dusty with no paved roads and a kind crossroad for all transport in the area.

The main road in Rurrenabaque

That day we met a couple of other travellers and together we did a for day tour. We had a great time and did lots of hikes and animal watching. I must say the jungle is something incredible beautiful and it was a trip of a lifetime is not for all the little insects!!!!!

At the time of my visit, there was not national park (yet) so guns were taken to provide bush meat and our guides turned out to be great hunters.

The start of our jungle adventure

Our camp

Ready for a jungle walk

The Marlboro man

Please catch this one it is nice and small!

Fishing was part of the fun

After our Jungle tour, we travelled back to La Paz and climbed the Andes via the already famous death road. On that road a truck tipped over the hillside in front of our bus and we were witness of a rescue.

Those poor people that that were hauled up more dead than alive. It was one of these moments that you just feel lucky to be alive.
          From La Paz our next destination was Uyuni. Again, it would be another long ride across the Bolivian highlands (Altiplano). Most of the villages and towns that we passed lay on about 4000 meters of altitude and the only thing I could think about was, what are these people doing here?

The town of Ururo

I spend hours in second hand bookstores in Amsterdam and that is were I saw the first photos of the volcanos and salt-flats in the unreal Bolivian landscape.
          Therefore, I could not go home without visiting this area.
          Uyuni is the place to start a tour from so that´s where we went.

The railroad in Uyuni

The plastic problem started many years ago

Somewhere on a hill on a daytrip out of Uyuni

On another day-trip we hitch hiked a ride on the truck to the salar

The only job in the area is working in the salt business. The people doing this job are more or less bondsmen. The boy on the left is not much older than 12 and has probably never seen a school on the inside.

We hitch hiked another ride on this truck bring some equipment to a mine close to a place called Rio Grande.
          This place is famous now as the spot on the Salar for the Lithium mining.

Those days a few locals hired out themselves with their jeeps for a tour of this wild and deserted landscape. There were no tourist agencies yet offering tours.

We had to spend some time in Uyuni to hook up with some fellow travellers to share the cost and fill up two jeeps. The locals would only do the tour with two vehicles in case of a break down.
          That made sense as you could easily get lost or freeze to death in this unfriendly environment.
          Looking back it was easy to see that tourism was still completely underdeveloped.
          Just a little example of that; the first night of the tour we slept on the floor in the local school and the second night we slept on the floor again in a dirty farmers shed.
          On the third day, the drivers showed up completely drunk early in the morning, they were not capable of nothing. Tension rose to a high, the drivers got touched in their machoism and everybody was pissed off. We got going after some time and reached a military post where the drivers complained about us tourist, especial Australian Marc whom they called the gringo rebel and told the military to shoot him. Things really seemed to go wrong!
          Myself being the only one in the group to speak Spanish followed the soldiers and Marc into their barracks and begged for Marc’s life.
          Luckily this all happened at the end of the tour and we really enjoyed it until that point.
          Still I must say that whole tours was just fascinating and it seemed that just around every hill or corner there was something astonishing waiting for us, salt flats, incredible clear blue skies, cactuses, never ending horizons, variating colours of mountains, geysers, wildlife, lakes and volcanos.

Finally we are on tour and visit the "Fish" island

The drivers refueling in the middle of nowhere

The only thing I can say is wauw

I hiked up the hill to have a good view of Laguna Colorada (yes to much energy)

Some geysers and yes it was cold

Spectacular Laguna Verde with volcano Licancabur in the background

Wauw

​​​​​​​To be continued

Kommentar

• thedutch
            Gerne im Forum
            • Privat

• Meine Reisen

After the tour we left Uyuni in the back of a truck (again) as there were only two regular buses a week for the town of Potosi. Again, it took ages before we arrived in Potosi and we froze our butts of and were covered in dust once again.
            Potosi is the name of the town but also the name of the mountain that lies against the town.
            This mountain provided Spain with all its wealth in the middle ages as it was full of silver and people are still mining. Sadly enough the spanish used the native population as slaves to and they died just like flies. The miners still die young as the gross of them die from dust lungs. To keep up with the murderous work the “dope” themselves with coca leafs and alcohol.

The mountain Potosi

Miner shop with dynamite for sale on the blue table on the down rightside. The red plastic bag is full of coca leaves

miner housing

Miner inside the mine holding out his hat to receive a some coca leaves

The grinding as we probably did it in the middle ages

From Potosi our next stop was the city of Sucre (the capital of Bolivia) and from there we left for Bolivia’s cocaine capital Santa Cruz de la Sierra. By the way, there is a big Mennonite colony living in the surrounding area of Santa Cruz and when you see them driving around in there horse carriages it is almost if time stood still.

The local people like them; they say that they work very precise and hard.
            After having had enough of Santa Cruz we took the cocaine smuggling train (at least that’s what the locals told us) to Corumbá in Brazil. Our main goal was a trekking tour in the Pantanal.

On the smuggling train to Corumba/Brazil

Brazil we made it to the town of Corumbá after a long and funny train ride. It was the kind of thing like; take everything you can and sell it in Brazil! If you have no money you can travel on top of the train as the inspector only checks the inside. On the way back someone got so drunk that he fell of the roof and the ride was delayed for quite a bit. For the locals everything seemed normal and it was almost as if accidents like this were included in the timetable.
            Brazil was so south American and then so different compared to the countries from where I came.
            The people seemed to be happy and smiled all day and their langue sounded so sweet. Anyhow, we came to Brazil to see the Pantanal, the biggest wetland area of the world. The variety of fauna in the Pantanal is among the highest in the world.
            I liked Brazil but decided that I would save that country for another time. My time would come, 2004 I travelled 3 months through Brazil with my (ex) wife and at that time two daughters.
            On our tight budget we didn´t really have any money for a guide tour so we decided to do the Pantanal our way!
            From Corumbá we took a bus direction Miranda and we left the bus on a road junction somewhere half way in the middle of the Pantanal. We just started walking and kept track by using compass and making notes for how many hours we walked in which direction. It was all cross-country walking and we had to do lots of detours in all directions because of rivers, ponds and swamps. The amount of wildlife we saw was incredible, birds in all its sizes and colours even the extremely rare blue macaw. As animals, we saw monkeys, deer, giant anteaters, alligators, capybaras, anacondas and even a pair of otters that made fun of us as we camped next to a river.

Gauchos passed us as we left the bus in the middle of nowhere

Just imagine seeing blue macaws through this landscape

All in all the Pantanal was a 5 day trip and it was mind blowing, all these animals in this paradise like landscape….OK let’s forget the amount of mosquitos and the cold nights that we didn´t expect and therefore we didn´t bring our sleeping bags (didn´t know that a towel could be so helpful to stay warm).
            After the Pantanal adventure, we travelled back to La Paz in three days and nights. I think I was pretty crazy at that time!

To be continued

Kommentar

• thedutch
              Gerne im Forum
              • Privat

• Meine Reisen

Bolivia La Paz was the ideal resting place from our three-day road trip but not for long because we had Lake Titicaca on our mind. So we left La Paz and made it to Copacabana/Lake Titicaca in a bus with the intense smell of urine (piss) all the way.
              Well you can leave the bus because of the smell. Then what are you going to do in the middle of nowhere, wait for the next bus (that probably has some other smelly problem)?
              We planned a little hike on Isla del Sol (island of the sun), this is a small island not far from the shores of Copacabana. In our hostel, we met two other Dutch guys and after a fun night together we planned to do the hike together.
              A local rowed us across the straight for a few Bolivianos (local currency) with his little boat and from there we hiked across the island on a slow pace just enjoying the views of the lake and its clear horizon. Both nights spend on the island we camped inside some ancient Inca ruins. At that time, camping in these ruins seemed normal. However, looking back now it was pure magic!

The sun going down at lake Titicaca

Our hike towards Isla del Sol

We slept inside these Inca ruins on Isla del Sol

Inca kings used this source for their rituals and now me drinking the water (yes I am still alive)

Snapshot on Incas table.. Really?

Peru Cuzco the old Inca capital and the ruins of Machu Picchu had been on the list for a long long time and finally the time had come. We spend a few days in Cuzco checking out the city and its surroundings. What a great town with all its little narrow streets and markets and its traces of Inca ruins.

The stone in the wall has twelve corners. It was made so precise that you can´t enter a razor blade inbetween the neighboring stones.

The fortress of Sacsayhuaman just outside of Cuzco. How did they do it?

As a hike there was only one option, the Inca trail.

At the time of us being on the trail there were no other tourist except for two Germans that we met on our first hiking day. We got along really well so we hiked the complete trail together.
              But just imagine; today there are thousands of people on the trail and visiting Machu Picchu but those days it was just us.

To be continued

Kommentar

• thedutch
                Gerne im Forum
                • Privat

• Meine Reisen

The trail was fun to walk with great views along the way. Almost every day we passed a few Inca ruins, Incredible what the Incas built in these mountains.
                One night we camped on top of the ruins of Puyupatamarca (how lucky we were).

The ruins of Ollantaytambo the day before we started the trail

The day we started in front of our hostel

On top of the first pass chewing coca leaves

Campsite along the trail that you can see as the along the mountain

Some ruin along the trail with Reinier enjoying the view

I would say it´s magic

Camping on top of the ruins of Puyutamarca

Inca trail that survived 500 years

Even more magic

What a view

Seeing Machu Picchu for the first time crossing a little pass was just was mind blowing….Holy shit was all I could say.

As I mentioned in the beginning of this blog, we camped in the ruins of Machu Picchu. At that time it all seemed to be normal to me so I did not even take a photo.

My first glimps of Machu Picchu

I want to ride that Lama but he or she doesn´t want to ride with me

Sadly me camera broke down shortly after Machu Picchu so for the rest of my South American travels I continued without a single photo.
                Luckily, Anthony an Australian guy with whom I hiked the Santa Cruz or Llanganuco trek in Peru send me copies of his slides so at least I have some photos of my last part of the journey.

Travelling back to Cuzco by train from Agua Caliente

Well after the Inca trail, it was slowly time for Reinier to head home so we had to go for Lima. Instead of the “normal” way, we decided to go for the long route via Abanacay and Ayacucho through the mountains.
                That promised to be a real adventure and it took us 52 hours to reach Lima. But what a trip it was through the mountains with all you can think about, flat tyres, stops in road side restaurants (the toilet is behind the shed and I call it a room with a view) where the menu is rice with a little of nothing, locals fighting over a guinea-pig that someone in the bus stole. Well one thing for sure it wasn´t me! Some parts of the road were so narrow and dangerous that I still question myself, am I still alive?
                The first night on the bus we stopped because of the danger of the shining path terrorists and tried to catch some sleep inside the very cold bus. The second night we continued driving but the bus driver stopped at a certain point high up in the mountains and told us to get on the roof of the bus under the canopy for an hour or so because of shining path activity in the area. He told us that they would kill us gringos if they found us. Thinking back about it all, I must say it was all a little crazy but part of the adventure. Until today, I strongly believe in the following saying: being at wrong place at the wrong time!
                We made it safely to Lima and Reinier flew home.
                I decided to go to Ecuador one more time so off I went on a few other long bus rides. Don´t ask me how I did all this traveling on buses for all these hours. I must have been a (little) crazy

Ecuador one of the reasons of going to Ecuador again was that I still wanted to climb Cotopaxi and Chimborazo. I made it to the top of Cotopaxi but bad weather didn´t allow me to climb Chimborazo
                After that I spend some time relaxing on the pacific coast on a little of the coast island named Muisne. My last days in Ecuador I spend the village of Vilcabamba in the south of the country. The place has a lovely climate and it was a great to do a few day hikes and just hang out. The village is pretty well known as National Geographic published an article in the seventies on the extreme long lifes of the villagers.

Peru I continued traveling and went to the town of Huaraz because of the Santa Cruz or Llanganuco hike I wanted to do in the area. I met Anthony in Huaraz and he decided that he wanted to join me on the hike. With a local bus, we travelled to Yungay from where we started our hike.
                I still remember the brilliant views on this hike and it would stay one of my favourites for a long time.
                It took us 5 days to end the hike in Santa Cruz where we slept in farmhouse and the next morning we travelled to Caraz with a collectivo.
                From Huaraz my time had come to go home. I was tired of traveling and my money source dried out.

Santa Cruz/Llanganuco hike with Anthony

Good fun and great weather

No too sharp but still a great picture

The last picture of a great hike shortly before I finally fly home

Conclusion:

The article that you just read is a summary of my travels through South America. I just picked up things and occasions that passed my mind. It would simply be too much and a bit boring if I would include every little thing I did or saw.
                Therefore, many of the side trips, funny situations, great people I met and strange situations are not included.

Down here are just a few happenings that I kind of “forgot”
                • Indian woman in Peru wanted to give me their children so that they would have a better life in Europe (this happened twice)
                • Getting robbed at knife point in Quito
                • Indians getting so drunk and aggressive that is was scary
                • Eating guinea pig and llama
                • Sailing on a boat through the Venezuelan Caribbean
                • Swimming among alligators in the Pantanal
                • Sleeping in way to small “Indio” beds (am I that tall or are they that small?)
                • Eating so much seafood in southern Chile that I had enough for the rest of my life
                • Riding a 1956 Chevy through the Atacama desert with a couple of American hippies
                • Eating local food on the markets with a nice chica beer (no better place to get to know the culture than a market place)
                • Hanging out with a border police officer (drinking beer) on a border crossing in a one horse town between Ecuador and Peru
                • Diving with barracudas in the Caribbean
                • Flying home with Aeroflot (dirt cheap) on an almost empty plane and getting caught in a snowstorm in Gander, New Foundland, Canada

I hope that all of you enjoyed reading my journey.
                I still have two other “Weltreise” to write down and I would be more than happy to get some notes on what you liked or what I should change in my writing.

I lost my heart to South America and went back again in 1999 and visited Chile, Argentina, Bolivia and Peru.
                A few years later, I even made a try to immigrate to Chile but in the end decided to stay in good old Germany.

Special Thanks to my friend Tito from Curaçao for teaching me the Spanish basics.
                Another thanks to my dear friends Pepe and Paul Coussy for teaching me advanced Spanish in Talca/Chile.
                Last but not least a big hug for my true friend Reinier.

Zuletzt geändert von thedutch; 17.11.2021, 12:18.

Kommentar

• LihofDirk
                  Freak

Liebt das Forum
                  • Privat

• Meine Reisen

Thanks for the splendid read!

Kommentar

• dominik_bsl
                    Erfahren
                    • Privat

• Meine Reisen